Govt-Owned Amidar Company Sells Haifa Synagogue to Local Arab

by Malkah Fleisher (December 8, 2008 – Israelnationalnews.com)

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/128755

The Amidar Company, a quasi-governmental housing company aligned with the Housing Ministry, sold a Haifa synagogue and all its contents to an Arab, according to a report by Yeshiva World News.

Located at 31 Jaffa Street in lower Haifa, the synagogue paid rent to Amidar before shutting down six years ago.  When regular operations and rental payments ceased at the synagogue, Amidar decided to sell the synagogue and all of its contents, including Jewish holy books and furniture.

The entrance to the shul is reportedly closed and welded shut, and still contains the Torah ark, though there is no Torah inside. According to the HaModia Orthodox Jewish newspaper, the property was sold to a local Arab despite the fact that Jews expressed an interest in purchasing the prope rty. The paper also stated that no one was aware of an organized tender announcing the synagogue’s sale.

Amidar, which was established in 1949, a year after the inception of the Jewish State, is owned by the Jewish Agency, the Jewish National Fund (JNF), and the Israeli government.

www.IsraelNationalNews.com
© Copyright IsraelNationalNews.com


Comments are closed.